Your information is very important to us and we look after your information carefully in line with data protection and privacy laws. We’ve set out below more detail on what information we collect about you and how we use that information.
Which ITV companies does this policy cover?
Any reference to "we", "us" and "our" is to ITV Studios Limited, except where the relevant service is provided by another ITV group company, in which case references to we, us or our shall, in respect of those services, be references to that ITV group company.
ITV Studios Limited is a company registered in England and Wales (registered number is 03106525) with registered office at The London Television Centre, Upper Ground, London SE1 9LT.
We are registered on the Data Protection Public Register. Our Data Protection Registration Number is Z5406645. To find out more information about the Data Protection Register, visit the Information Commissioner's Office website.
What services does this policy cover?
Our services may include online social media and/or interactive applications, audio visual content, text, photographs, forums, advertising and other services which we may offer at or via the website at www.britishsoapawards.tv including all its sub-domains (the "Website") and/or other websites or media platforms which, for example, may enable you to view our content over a mobile or wi-fi network or our 'on-demand' content on your television (the "Services"). This policy covers all of the Services and any reference to “you” or “your”, means you as user of our Services. This policy applies to the collection and use of your information by us and parties that we authorise (such as our suppliers and sub-contractors).
What information do you collect?
What information we collect about you depends which of our Services you are using. The information that we may collect includes:
- your name, address, postcode, email address, date of birth, telephone number, payment details and service details (if applicable); ;
- information about your use of our Services including details of your internet protocol (IP) address, operating system, browser version, cookie details, the content you viewed on our Services, how long you stayed and on which pages, and your navigation around the Services;
- location data from your IP address or by accessing global positioning functionality on your device (e.g. GPS). We may use this so that we can “geo-block” or regionalise our Services to prevent you from accessing them from outside the United Kingdom or (where applicable) from within a region where our Services are not available;
- other data from time to time to help us provide you with improved products and services – for example when we ask you to fill in a survey or questionnaire;
The Data Protection Act 1998 gives you the right to access information held about you. Your right of access can be exercised in accordance with that Act. Any access request may be subject to a fee of £10 to meet our costs in providing you with details of the information we hold about you.
When and how do you collect information?
We (or our authorised third parties) may collect information about you:
- when you contact us with an enquiry or other feedback;
- when you participate in interactivity, for example, when you submit an entry to a competition or prize draw, or you vote in one of our polls;
- when you request to be sent communications such as updates or newsletters;
- in monitoring your use of the Services including (without limitation) communications sent by you via the Services;
- when you disclose your personal information to us or otherwise through the the Website and/ or Services at any other point;
- from third party suppliers who have confirmed to us that they are authorised to pass your information to us in accordance with your legal rights.
Cookies and similar devices
How do we use information about you?
Your personal information may be used by us and our authorised third parties to:
- monitor, develop and improve the Website, Services and/or your experience. This may include personalising the advertising and content you see, based on the details given by you and/or your activity on the Services;
- assist in and administer the provision of Services to you;
- process and deal with any complaints or enquiries made by or about you;
- contact you with service messages;
- if any of the Services for which you have registered is no longer available, to contact you in relation to the closure of the Website and inform you of any similar services offered by us and/or any company within our group of companies and/or a third party partner on our behalf; and/or
- to monitor compliance with any terms and conditions or other applicable terms and conditions including by way of (i) checking postings or submissions to the Website or otherwise in connection with your use of the Services, (ii) retaining forum or chat room exchanges, and (iii) using keyword triggers to investigate usage that may be inappropriate; and/or
- where you are a prize winner, to administer the prize and to publish or otherwise make available a list of prize winners.
Will I be sent marketing messages?
Generally, we will only send you marketing messages if you indicate that you consent (e.g. by "opting-in") to receiving such messages. Where we have your consent or are otherwise permitted to do so, we may:
- send you information by email, telephone (including SMS), mail or other methods of communication about existing and new services and special offers from us;
- send you information by email, telephone (including SMS), mail or other methods of communication about related products or services of selected third parties that may be of interest to you; and and
- pass your details to selected third parties so that they may send you information by email, telephone (including SMS), mail or other methods of communication about products or services that may be of interest to you.
By choosing to interact with our services by SMS text message, you will be indicating that you consent to receive marketing communications from us via SMS text message in respect of similar products and services. You can avoid receiving these communications by adding NO INFO at the end of your SMS.
To stop receiving marketing communications from us, you can use the ‘unsubsribe’, ‘stop’ or similar facility contained in any such communication or you can email us at the email address set out in 'Contact Details' below stating that you do not wish to receive further communications from us.
To opt-out of receiving any such communications from a selected third party, you will need to contact the applicable third party. Please note that we are not responsible for the communications or the content of any communications you receive from any such third party.
Do you share my information?
We may pass information about you to other parties as follows:
- to third parties authorised by us and acting on our behalf such as our employees, contractors, suppliers and/or agents including without limitation our customer care teams to administer the Services provided to you by us now or in the future;
- where we have your consent to do so, for marketing communications (see section on "Marketing Communications" above);
- if you contact our customer support team, we may pass them your personal information to allow them to deal with your call more efficiently;
- as part of general statistical information about the Services’ user base, sales patterns, traffic volumes and related matters. These details will not include information personally identifying you;
- where relevant, the user name and some profile information you voluntarily provide may be published on areas of the Services such as forums, chat rooms or pages where user submissions are displayed and this will be the identity by which you are known on those areas. Please always think carefully before disclosing information to other users or otherwise making your information publicly available;
- if there are changes to our business (see section below on “Changes to our business”).
We may also display targeted advertisements based on the personal information that we hold. We do not provide your personal information to advertisers but advertisers and ad serving companies may assume that you meet the targeting criteria for that ad, for example men aged 18-30.
We may also share your personal information with other business units and operations within the ITV group. We share your personal information with other entities in the ITV group to: (i) provide a more personalised experience across the different Services that we offer; (ii) to provide and/or manage cross or intergroup programmes or services; and (iii) to provide other services and products that you request or which might be of interest to you.
Please note this policy does not cover companies, services or applications that we do not own or control, or people that we do not employ or manage, including (without limitation) third party websites or applications/widgets (e.g. from “social media” platforms such as Facebook or Twitter) which we link to or offer via our Services, nor does it cover advertisers. Also, it does not cover certain pages and services provided via our Services which are hosted, managed and operated by other parties. These services, applications and third parties may have their own privacy policies and/or terms and conditions of use, which we recommend you read before using any such services. These third parties and services are wholly independent of us and are solely responsible for all aspects of their relationship with you and any use you may make of such services.
Service providers based outside Europe
We use certain third party companies to perform some functions of the Services on our behalf (for example sending e-mails to you or analysing data that is collected from the Services) or to provide services to us. These third parties are only allowed access to your information needed to perform such functions or to provide such services. They are not allowed to use it for any other purpose.
Changes to our business
If we decide to change or re-organise the structure of our business, we may need to pass your personal information to one of our group companies so that we can continue to effectively deliver the Services to you.
Also, if we become involved in a merger, acquisition, restructuring, reorganisation or other transaction involving the sale of some or all of our or our group companies’ assets, then your information may be included in the assets which are transferred to the new owner and may be provided to the entities and advisors involved. Such a transaction may involve us: (i) retaining the right to continue to use transferred personal information in addition to the right of the new owner to use such information; and (ii) engaging in additional transfers of personal information (including new personal information) with the new owner from time to time following such a transaction.
Are my details safe?
We endeavour to take all reasonable steps to protect your personal information. Where reasonably possible we use industry-standard technology to allow for the encryption of sensitive information.
Please always think carefully before disclosing information to other users or otherwise making your information publicly available. It is important that you are aware that any information you disclose to another user may then be disclosed by that user. We have no responsibility or control over the contents of communications made between users of our Services.
How can I change my details?
Where you register your details for certain Services and open a user account with us that you can then use to access and log on to use those Services, you may change or update some of your details at any time via your account. If you are not registered for these Services but wish to update your details then please contact us (see "Contact Us" section below). You should please make sure that you update your details as soon as possible with all relevant changes.
You can email us with any questions, queries or complaints at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Cookies are small files of letters and numbers. These files are either stored in the memory of your computer or other device such as mobile phones or tablet devices (these cookies are generally known as session cookies) or are placed on the hard drive of your device (generally known as persistent cookies).
- to allow you to carry information across pages of our Website and avoid having to re-enter information;
- within registration to allow you to access stored information;
- to help us recognise you as a unique visitor when you return to our Website or Services;
- to allow us to tailor content or advertisements to match your preferred interests;
- to avoid showing you the same adverts repeatedly; and
- within research surveys to ensure you are not invited to complete a questionnaire too often or after you have already done so.
- to understand who has seen which pages and advertisements on the Website or otherwise via the Services;
- to determine how frequently particular pages and advertisements are visited;
- to track the success of any advertising campaigns on our Website;
- to determine the most popular areas of the Website or Services;
- to provide anonymised demographic data to third parties in order to target advertising more appropriately to you;
- generally in order to monitor usage of the Website or Services; and
- to undertake market research and/or to facilitate reviews, developments and/or improvements to the Services.
The following are cookies set on the Website:
Name of cookie: BSA_VOTE
Purpose: This cookie holds voting information and enables us to provide voting services to you. This cookie expires at the end of your session.
Name of cookies: _utma, _utmb, _utmc & _utmz
Purpose: These cookies are set by Google Analytics and are used respectively to:
- determine unique visitors to the website. It is updated with each page view and expires 2 years from date set;
- establish and continue a user session within the website (expires when a user pauses on a page on your site for longer than 30 minutes);
- this cookie stores no information but is included for backward compatibility purposes (expires when the user exits the browser);
- store the type of referral used by you to reach The British Soap Awards website, whether via a direct method, a referring link, a website search, or a campaign such as an ad or an email link. Expires 6 months from date set.
Where can I find more information about cookies, and how do I turn cookies off or delete cookies?
Find out more about cookies including how to disable/enable and delete them at the following website www.aboutcookies.org.
If you want to delete cookies from the browser on your mobile phone, you will need to refer to your handset manual.